I recently did a Prusa I3 MK2 Upgrade to upgrade my printer to version MK2 and have taken a few pictures and wanted to share a few thoughts on this particular printer.
First a picture of the printer before the upgrade.
The upgrade is fairly straight forward, it did involved taking apart the printer and starting again from scratch but building it from scratch did highlight some of the improvements. For me the biggest improvement is the larger print bed. There are a number of other improvements though such as the auto bed leveling, faster printing (with threaded X axis rods) etc. After a number of hours disassembling and reassembling, below is the finished result. I opted for black printed parts and prefer the look to the previous orange parts.
I am starting my test prints now, I have had a few issues with the new firmware and calibration, mainly with the new sensor and bed leveling but the forums have been quite helpful for resolving these issues. Its worth noting that I am one of the first to receive the kit and i’m sure many of these problems will be resolved in newer firmware releases. The recently released 3.0.4 beta firmware does appear to have fixed the bed leveling issues I had though I did do some minor damage to my print bed in the process.
The small dents don’t appear to have effected print quality and I am happy with some on the initial test prints. I will start printing some more complicated pieces soon and put it to a harder test. Overall, I am pleased with the upgrade (this is the second upgrade I have made to the original Prusa I3 printer) and the printers from Prusa Research are of a high quality. I will post some prints soon!