Repairing and firmware upgrading for a NATPC M009S 8GB Tablet
I brought a cheap tablet from Amazon (link here) and a few months later it was barely working. It was stuck in a boot loop and the battery wouldn’t charge. I removed the battery and and flashed some new firmware and here are the instructions for Repairing and firmware upgrading for a NATPC M009S 8GB Tablet.
The first problem was the battery, which read about 3v with a voltmeter rather than the 4-5v I would have expected to see. I snipped off the battery lead and connected a desktop power supply set to 4.5V. I then turned on the tablet. The tablet would now stay on indefinitely, but still wouldn’t boot up.
The next step was to find the firmware. Looking through the Amazon discussion forum for this item, I found some links for compatible firmware for this device.
I used the following: http://www.natpcandroidtablet.com/forum/firmware/M009S/M009SCAPJB4_1.img. This contains Android (Jelly Bean 4.1.1 which as of writing is vulnerable to Heartbleed).
Another firmware: http://www.natpcandroidtablet.com/forum/firmware/M009S/8gb_16gb.img (Not sure what version this one is as I used the first one).
Flashing new Firmware
Flashing new firmware is surprisingly easy for this tablet. First download LiveSuitPack 1.09. You can get this here.
- Unplug your tablet.
- Start LiveSuitPack_version_1.09_20111101.exe (as administrator)
- You will need to confirm the driver installation. If you are running Windows 8, you will need to restart your computer whilst holding shift and then go into the following menu (Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings -> Restart). Then select the “Disable driver signing enforcement” option.
- Open LiveSuit.exe
- You will get a message asking if you want to enter the upgrade guide. Choose No and follow this guide instead.
- Click Select Img and choose the firmware image you have downloaded.
- Use the following instructions to connect the tablet:
- Turn the tablet off.
- Hold the VOL+ and plug your tablet in.
- Keep holding VOL+, when you plug the tablet in, continually press (not hold) the power button (about twice a second)
- When the following window appears, you can release VOL+ and stop pressing the power button.
- Click “Yes” on this window and also click “Yes” on the force format window that follows it.
- Your firmware will now install. This will take about 5-10 minutes, don’t unplug it during this even if it appears to have stopped (it seems to stop a few times).
- When this has finished you will get a success message (hopefully!)
Now unplug the cable and use Jelly Bean (4.1.1) on your NATPC M009S.